Hi! I’m Nicole and welcome to my new blog, maddex musings, where you can follow my adventures in decor and organizing, with a little DIY thrown in for good measure!
Wondering what made me want to start my own blog? After years of post-secondary education (totally unrelated to any career I’ve pursued since), a ten year stint in marketing and communications with a major Canadian bank and seven years as a stay-at-home mom, I decided to follow my long-time passion and started Maddex Interiors, a professional home staging, organizing and redesign firm based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
maddex musings is a place where I’ll share the things that inspire me, favourite projects I’ve worked on and lots of tips and tricks you can use to transform your own spaces. And, because I’m a seasoned decor shopper (translation – a bit of a shopaholic!), I’ll be sure to reveal my favourite sources and share my fabulous finds with you too!
Since we’re just getting to know each other, here’s a little insight into the personality behind the blog:
1. Born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, I spent most of my life in the city until I relocated to Halifax, Nova Scotia with my husband and two children four years ago. Although I miss some of the amenities that come with big city life, like maybe shopping? (I’m still trying to get over the fact that there’s no IKEA anywhere in Atlantic Canada), I’ve fully embraced my new life as a Maritimer.
2. My first “design crush” was a princess-style canopied bed when I was 10 years old. I never did get the bed, but it was just the beginning of my love affair with design and decor.
3. I like to say that I was born organized and have always liked things to be in their place. My university roommate thought it would be funny to completely reorganize my side of our room while I was at class one day. To say I didn’t appreciate the humour would be an understatement!
4. My favourite designers – Sarah Richardson of HGTV fame and Mary McDonald from the show, Million Dollar Decorators.
5. My favourite design trick is to use mirrors to brighten up a space and make it feel airier. The added bonus is you’ll always have somewhere to check your hair or makeup!
6. My biggest design pet peeve is when drapery panels aren’t hung properly. Ideally, the rod should be hung fairly close to the ceiling or crown moulding, or at least halfway between the top of the window trim and the ceiling (or moulding). The panels themselves should just skim the floor or hang no more than a 1/2 inch above the floor. If you’re going for a more formal look, the panels can puddle on the floor but they just get in the way and they attract dust.
7. What’s the best part of owning my own business? It would have to be the excited (and often relieved) looks on my clients’ faces after I’ve revealed their newly decorated or organized space to them for the first time. They’re no longer overwhelmed by decorating dilemmas or frustrated by clutter and disorganization. I don’t think I realized how personally rewarding this career choice would turn out to be.
8. Wondering what’s catching my eye in the world of design right now? Here’s a snapshot of some of my favourite pins on Pinterest…
Well, I guess that’s enough about me! To learn more about Maddex Interiors, click here.
Thanks for visiting and I hope you’ll stop by again soon. Stay tuned for the reveal of my family bathroom makeover coming soon.